- 250g carrots (2-3)
- 300g red onions (2-4)
- 300g oyster mushrooms
- 350g tomatoes (3-4)
- 4 big garlic cloves
60g dried porcini mushrooms
- 100g olive oil
- 70g miso paste
- 40g rose harissa
- 100g tomato paste
- 90g soy sauce
2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 180g brown or green lentils
- 100g pearl barley
- 100g red wine
- 160g coconut cream
freshly ground black pepper
- polenta or pasta to serve
- Preheat the fan oven to 190C.
- Very finely chop carrots, onions, oyster mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Crush garlic cloves, or chop them very finely.
- Use a hand blender to reduce dried porcini mushrooms into small bits.
- Mix the next 6 ingredients (oil, miso paste, harissa, tomato paste, soy sauce and cumin seeds).
- Combine the mixture with all the vegetables in a large ceramic lasagne tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Mix red wine and coconut cream.
- Remove the tray from the oven to add lentils and barley. Pour over the red wine and coconut cream mixture. Add a very generous grind of black pepper. Stir very well.
- Add about 1 litre of water, or as much as fits into the tray.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 180C.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for another 40 minutes. Check halfway through and add more water if needed.
- Remove the foil and bake for a final 5 minutes.
- Set aside to rest for at least 15 minutes or overnight.
- Serve with polenta or pasta. To make polenta, boil 4 cups of water, whisk 1 cup of polenta into the boiling water and cook for 1 minute.
Inspired by Flavour cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi